: Moses Cone Hospital CITY
: Greensboro JOB DETAILS
Exempt: No | FTE: 1.0 (40 hours/week) | Schedule: Day/Evening and Weekend Rotation | On Call: NO
• Current active license to practice pharmacy in North Carolina, or eligible to o btain North Carolina pharmacy license within two (2) months of hire
• PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency accredited by ASHP
BLS (CPR) - AHA Health Care Provider BLS
A post-graduate year two (PGY2) residency is designed to transition PGY1 residency graduates from generalist practice to specialized practice focused on the care of patients in a specialized program. The PGY2 position(s) covered by this job description are cardiology, infectious disease, neonatology, and oncology. Each position is accountable to complete a systematic training program following the appropriate specialty American Society of Health-System Pharmacists' (ASHP) PGY2 accreditation standard in a practice-based manner with the objective of preparing the resident for a career in advanced patient care, practice leadership, academia, or other specialized position, along with board certification in the specialized program area.
The PGY2 position is accountable for the management of all aspects of medication use processes, including but not necessarily limited to the following:
• Interpret and verify the appropriateness of provider entered medication orders or enter an order according to individualized patient needs.
• Supervise pharmacy technicians in all pharmacy related activities.
• Manage drug regimens by approved protocols in consultation with the medical staff.
• Prepare and dispense medications efficiently following existing standards of practice and the organization's policies and procedures.
• Demonstrate ownership for the welfare of the patient by performing medication related patient education, medication reconciliation, and assistance with optimizing the patient's drug regimen prior to discharge or in a clinic visit.
• Monitor outpatient drug therapies and billing procedures when appropriate to ensure the best care possible.
• Conduct / provide interdisciplinary and pharmacy department medication related education, including creation of a minimum of one computer-based learning module.
• Participate in the training and development of PGY1 residents and students.
• Conduct medication related research with a minimum completion of one publishable major project, and one medication use evaluation (MUE).
• Participate in drug formulary management by completing a minimum of one medication review for the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee as well as participate in the specialty subcommittees for P&T (e.g., Oncology, Infectious Disease).
MAJOR WORK ACTIVITIES:
Promotes optimal medication therapies, utilizes drug dosing protocols, and provides consultations upon patient, physician, or physician extender request
2. DRUG INFORMATION
Provides medication related information to healthcare professionals, patients, and the public. Assists in or supports medication utilization evaluations and assists with formulary management through the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
3. DRUG PROCESSING AND DISTRIBUTION
Promotes timely and accurate inpatient and/or outpatient medication processing and distribution. Takes responsibility for all issues related to processing/billing, distribution, and pharmacy technology.
4. TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Serves as a preceptor and role model for all pharmacy staff, including students, fellows, residents, technicians, and pharmacists. Takes responsibility for personal and professional growth by seeking out and participating in training and development activities. Completes all required competencies and computer-based learning modules.
Effectively supervises and evaluates pharmacy technicians/interns in all pharmacy related activities.
6. LEADERSHIP / PRACTICE MANAGEMENT
Initiates and maintains a systematic approach to documenting professional activities and accomplishments to improve the quality of one's own performance through self-assessment and change.
Cone Health is an equal opportunity employer. If you require assistance with our online job submission process, please contact our team at 866-266-3767 to request an accommodation.